D further bolstered with signing of Schenn

This is the place to talk all Coyotes hockey.

Moderators: CBL, Stunned, Matzel

D further bolstered with signing of Schenn

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:27 pm

The dogs' blueline is a stronger unit heading into the 2016/17 season after GM Short Pants Chayka signed 26-year-old Luke Schenn to two year contract.
Good value for a guy who is still young with potential to become a quality number 3 or 4 defender.

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-sign-d-schenn ... l-1.531581
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Re: D further bolstered with signing of Schenn

Postby penfold314 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Cheap signing with good defensive play. Should work fine as we have enough offensive dmen
Last edited by penfold314 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penfold314
Prospect
Prospect

Postby CBL on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:17 pm

This may also mean that we will be moving some folks out:

Current (NHL) D-men:
    OEL - Staying put; 1st pairing
    Murphy - RFA, hopefully re-signed soon (but could possibly be moved)
    Goligoski - New addition, he'll be staying for a awhile
    Schenn - Short term replacement while Stone recovers? Long-term replacement for Michalek?
    Connauton - make or break at camp (depending on any additional moves beforehand)
    Michalek - Perhaps they are considering buying him out?
    Dahlbeck - #7 in my mind, but I'd prefer to see him in Tucson
    Stone - Injured and probably won't be fully (90-100%) until January or February (although they are saying it may be in November)

Other D-men
    DeAngelo - Wild card. May be ready for NHL duty, but I'm thinking AHL and injury call-up this season
    McBain - Kind of an extra for us, but I'm guessing he's mainly veteran leadership for Tucson, but may be called up as well
    Tinordi - A year in the A for him will tell us much more
CBL

Postby Matzel on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:53 pm

I am not crazy over this deal, mostly because he is such a weak skater. They talked a lot about Goligoski being (one of) the new gen d-man, but with Schenn they are bringing in the old skool, lumbering, skates-in-quick-sand defenseman. Like we don't already have Z, an aged warrior who's probably blocked way too many shots to still be quick; Tinordi, who could never skate;

The only positive here is the term and deal. Relatively cheap and only for two years.
Matzel
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert Earthpig on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Best thing about Schenn coming aboard is his willingness to thump guys and block shots. He was highly touted when drafted (by the Leafs) but never met the expectations of him being a top two defender. He's slid down to being a 4 to 6 guy and is being paid accordingly. Still only 26 - so methinks Z is likely in tough.
See our opening six as: OEL; Goligoski; Murphy; Schenn; Connauton; Z. Would slot Stone in at No. 3 if he was healthy. And Z would hit the press box.

Might a trade be in the offing - considering the presence of McBain, Dahlback and Deangelo?
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:50 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Best thing about Schenn coming aboard is his willingness to thump guys and block shots. He was highly touted when drafted (by the Leafs) but never met the expectations of him being a top two defender. He's slid down to being a 4 to 6 guy and is being paid accordingly. Still only 26 - so methinks Z is likely in tough.
See our opening six as: OEL; Goligoski; Murphy; Schenn; Connauton; Z. Would slot Stone in at No. 3 if he was healthy. And Z would hit the press box.

Might a trade be in the offing - considering the presence of McBain, Dahlback and Deangelo?

I think McBain is veteran presence in Tucson and can be called up if necessary

DeAngelo is more of a depth player. We'll see how he does this season, but probably shouldn't expect much playing time from him this season (except for call ups) unless he puts on a show at camp.

Before Stone returns to NHL form
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Connauton (while Stone recovers)
Dahlbeck - Schenn / DeAngelo
spare: Z

After Stone returns to NHL form:
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Connauton - Schenn/ DeAngelo
spares: Dahlbeck, Z

We still have an abundance of D, and Z could possibly be moved or bought out. I suppose we could try to move Dahlbeck in a package of some sort as well,
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Stone and Murphy have signed. Murphy for six years at $3.85 million per and Stone has signed a one-year deal worth $4 million.
Methinks Stone is on his way out. He will be a UFA when this contract expires. I expect him to be dealt at some point.
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Postby CBL on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Robert Earthpig wrote:Stone and Murphy have signed. Murphy for six years at $3.85 million per and Stone has signed a one-year deal worth $4 million.
Methinks Stone is on his way out. He will be a UFA when this contract expires. I expect him to be dealt at some point.

I think we may have to wait until the trade deadline for any interest in Stone. With his injury, I'm not sure too many teams would be interested in paying 4 million for a player that could miss around 25-30 games this season. If he returns in November and does decently, we might be able to move him, but I don't think it will happen before the season begins unless it's part of a package deal that brings a 2nd pairing right-handed D-man to the Coyotes.

I'm seriously worried about our Defense this season. We pretty much have one 1st pairing D-man (OEL), one 2nd pairing D-man (Goligoski), three solid 3rd pairing D-men (injured Stone, Murphy, and Schenn), and a bunch of #7 D-men/AHlers (Z, Connauton, Dahlbeck, DeAngelo). Although I have liked some of the off-season moves, we haven't adequately bolstered our Defense as much as I would have liked (we needed a 1st and/or 2nd pairing right-handed D-man). It may be a long season (although we have improved).
CBL

Postby Robert Earthpig on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Agreed. The dogs are going to be baby-butt young, as I think Strome and Dvorak will make the club out of camp. Throw in Vermette being tossed aside and we'll be even younger - so this could be an ugly year.
It could also be a complete surprise, if Smith can stay healthy and be the good Smith when playing. If Doan can stay healthy and play like he did last year and Domi and Duclair take steps forward and Strome bursts on the scene as a rookie of the year candidate - and Rieder is re-signed and takes another step forward... we could surprise lots of teams. :shrugg:
Long Live The Jets
Robert Earthpig
Alternate Captain
Alternate Captain

Return to Coyotes Corner